Saturday, April 11, 2015

Polamalu Tribute . . .

Note: I'm sorry to have abandoned this blog the past year due to increased professional demands.  The recent announcement of Troy Polamalu's retirement has me reminiscing this morning, and so I thought I'd share this "throw-back" post from 2012 . . .

"Steeler Face Celebrates Polamalu Year"
From 1/19/12
 
The Steeler Face celebrates his 43rd birthday today, and thus welcomes his "Polamalu year."  As noted in the Steeler fan's guide to the galaxy, the answer to life, the universe and everything is 43.  Therefore, I expect this to be an enlightening year personally, professionally and recreationally.  In the meantime, I am reminiscing about a birthday in the recent past in which I received, perhaps, my favorite birthday present ever:



That's right, a Polamalu jersey.  I received this Polamalu replica home jersey on January 19, 2009, which happened to be my 40th birthday.  Of course, I could have cared less about how old I was that day because I was still basking in the afterglow of what transpired the day before.



The Steelers had defeated the Baltimore Haters 23-14 on January 18, 2009 in the AFC Championship game and were on their way to Super Bowl XLIII and what would become their NFL record 6th Super Bowl championship.  (Not to put to fine a point on it, but that is Super Bowl, roman numeral "43").



What was special about this day, however, was the fact that Troy Polamalu's spectacular interception return for a touchdown with about 4 minutes to go in the game sealed the Steelers win.  I stayed up late that night watching (and re-watching) game highlights--and then woke up the next morning to be presented a birthday gift from my wife and two sons--a Troy Polamalu jersey.  There couldn't have been a better gift that day except of course for my beautiful family with which the Good Lord has blessed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment